Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Baby's Books

Recently, friends have asked me about helping with book selections for baby shower gifts. As much as I love the idea of shower hosts requesting guests bring a favorite picture book to build a new baby's library, I know it can be stressful for folks who have not given much thought to children's books since grade school. I also think everyone tries to avoid an onslaught of Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are- as timeless and treasured as they are, it is nice to be able to bring a unique title to the starter library.


I think there are countless beautiful picture books out there. If there is one title that is special to you then that is obviously the right choice, but if you are stumped then this list could help. I decided to narrow it a bit by choosing books for the very young. Often the books guests bring are for older children and though always appreciated, it is nice to have some titles you can read in that first 18 months.
Everywhere Babies by Susan Meyers depicts the first year of life for babies in charming rhyming text and with beautifully detailed watercolors.
Sebastien Braun creates simple, but lush and engaging double-page spreads of various animal mothers with their babies in I Love My Mommy (and I Love My Daddy).
Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes is silly, suspenseful, and comforting- all in beautiful black and white.
One Beautiful Baby by Martine Oborne is an incredibly sweet and whimsical counting book.
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. introduces colors, animals, and rhyme -not to mention it has fantastic Eric Carle illustrations.
Rhythmic text and enchanting art make I Spy a Sun in the Sky a wonderfully engaging read-aloud.

Images courtesy of Google.com

1 comment:

  1. I do love the Eric Carle books! How i miss those innocent days...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails