Monday, June 1, 2009

Hello Gorgeous.

This past weekend I watched "What's Up, Doc?" (1972) a screwball comedy with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. I first saw it on tv as a kid and I remember I thought it was just the most hilarious thing I'd ever seen. So I figured it was time for a re-visit. It was cute (I think my humor was much more slapstick-oriented back then), but I totally fall in love with Ms. Streisand all over again.

I grew up on her music. My mother has a deep collection of Streisand albums and, even now, I will not miss a television special or skip by any of her songs playing on the radio. "The Way We Were" still destroys me. "Hello, Dolly!" and "Funny Girl" make me plain happy. And so though "What's Up, Doc?" did not have me rolling around in the aisles in quite the same way this time around - Barbra is just beautiful in it. And there's no "despite of" anything - she just exudes coolness and confidence. And I just love her style in this film: the classic trench, the dark blue jeans, the old man cap. So here's a little bit of 70s cool inspiration for the lot of us.
I swear this movie is super light and fun and Streisand smiles endlessly, but this is the only decent image I could find of her very classic trench.

I love the cap and this fitted orange shirt with its wide 70s collar. Such a cool combo.

The half smile, golden tan, pile of bubbles and piled up hair.

(image via movie screen shots)
A white pants suit. Under a table. (Where else?)

Her ears poking out of her hair = the most adorable thing ever. Especially in the boy's tank and the delicate gold jewelry (see it in color here).

And can we also notice the make-up? Nude lips, cat eyes. Have I convinced you to rent the movie yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails