Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Missing Mousekin

I heard Mousekin's Golden House by Edna Miller for the first time at my neighborhood library's story hour when I was in kindergarten. After that, my mum bought the book for us and we read it surely hundreds of times.
It is the story of a mouse who makes a home in a discarded jack-o-lantern. It is a simple and wonderful tale and looking back now, as one review I read noted, it is a fantastic example of how nature recycles and of the life cycle of a pumpkin.
While looking for Halloween/ Autumn tales for my own kids, I was disappointed in much of the selection and my mum reminded me of Mousekin. We were both excited to share it with the kids, but, like so many great picture books from my childhood, it is out of print.
If you come across Mousekin's Golden House at your library, I strongly encourage you to check it out. The text and illustrations that Miller created are a perfect celebration of the season. It is definitely an autumn classic.

**It is a little ironic that I was/am so crazy about this book, because if a mouse moved into our jack-o-lantern, you would hear my screams from wherever you are!**


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails