Popcorn balls are part of the Halloween season around here. I usually make them a couple of times - once plain and once with the addition of kids' choice of treat (usually Halloween m&ms). I noticed there is a variety of ways to make them , but I stick to the old Martha Stewart recipe - sweet and reliable!
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for buttering hands
- 1 package miniature marshmallows (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup dried cranberries, or English toffee bits, optional (this is where my kids choose m&ms)
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot over low heat. Add marshmallows and brown sugar and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour popcorn and cranberries, or English toffee bits if using, into pot; toss well. With buttered hands, shape into 2 1/2-inch balls. Set on parchment lined baking sheet to dry slightly.