Monday, May 27, 2013

husband and wife collaborators

Recently I've gotten more intrigued by collaborative projects. Being a teacher can sometimes feel like such soul-crushing, solitary work (the grading, the lesson planning, the writing) that I forget that with just a little bit of effort, some planning, and the right partner - I don't have to do all of it alone. Yes, it is next to impossible for anyone to help me with the grading, but co-teaching? a conference? a co-written paper? Those are all possibilities to lighten the load and make the work of work a bit more fun. Anyway, I don't think my husband is game for this kind of collaboration, but I'm taking some inspiration from some pretty amazing husband and wife teams. I'm in awe of the beauty that a team of two can create.
One of my favorites: The children's book writing and illustrating team of Alice and Martin Provensen:

They made all of this: 
(and Martin was apparently responsible with creating an early version of "Tony the Tiger"!) 









And oh I cannot love the songwriting team of Tom Waits and his wife Kathleen Brennan enough:

They made this: 
(one of the greatest albums ever - I fight you to the death on this! And you need to read how he talks about her.)

And, of course, there is Charles and Ray Eames: 

They made everything you want in your house right now (I have these stamps so that's a start...):

And then there are the artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude:

They made the world surreal and beautiful as a very large scale experience:

Christo and Jeanne-Claude images via christrojeanneclaude.net



1 comment:

  1. Great post. Very inspiring. My wife and I talk about working together but it hasn't happened yet!

    ReplyDelete